It is hard to describe what a Tulikivi fireplace means to a family once it is in a home. They bring joy to the hearths they inhabit and make each house a retreat from the world.
About Tulikivi Tulikivi soapstone fireplaces are a complete and finished product. There are no unexpected costs involving facings. Installation usually takes 1 to 4 days on a prepared site. All fireplaces and ovens are tested and listed to U.L. and U.L.C. standards. Soapstone holds 2.5 times more heat than brick. The extreme versatility of soapstone allows for easy customization, benches, unique designs or custom tile work is no problem. All fireplaces and ovens are designed for easy rebuilding or repair should the need ever arise.
How A Tulikivi Works
Contra-Flow Principle 1. When wood burns in the firebox high temperatures are reached quickly, forcing the burning gases up through the throat of the fireplace
2. The hot gases are then guided down and out into the side channels, where the heat is released into the exterior stones.
3. As the air is heated by the exterior walls, it creates a convection current so that the heat circulates evenly throughout the room.
Traditional Quality 4. The interior stones of the fireplace are cut across the grain, making them able to withstand very high temperatures.
5. The exterior stones are cut along the grain, allowing them to conduct heat evenly into the room.
6. Many models can be top vented if needed to save on space. Refer to the dimensional footprints that accompany each model description to see if is easily top-vented.
7. Once the fireplace has warmed up and the fire has gone out, the damper and ashdoor (see item 8 below) are closed in order to prevent the stored heat from escaping up through the chimney.
Special Qualities of the Tulikivi Fireplace 8. Air flow into the fireplace is regulated by a control on the ashdoor.
9. Although ash deposits are minimal, ash build-up can be removed cleanly and easily in the covered removable ashpan.
10. Patented airwash system keeps the glass door clear and free of soot.
11. Electric heating components may be added to side channels to provide automatic back-up heat.
Safety. 12. The fireplace must be built on fireproof material.
13. The fireplace must have a foundation or an engineered floor system designed to support it's weight and the weight of the chimne
The Heat from a Tulikivi Fireplace is Soft and Gentle, It Does Not Burn
You might not believe it, but there are different kinds of heat. The radiant heat generated by a Tulikivi is pleasant and also efficient at warming the room. A Tulikivi fireplace emits heat evenly over the whole room, which remains pleasantly warm for a long time. The heat also feels lovingly soft.
The soft radiant heat of a Tulikivi fireplace spreads evenly in the whole room and gently caresses people and objects in it with its warmth.The room temperature does not need to be high, so that the air remains fresh and easy to breathe. The temperatures in the picture are for guidance only.
A Tulikivi fireplace will not burn the air leaving it dry and stuffy. On the contrary, the air will remain fresh. This is how radiant heat differs favorably from the harsh convection heat from a traditional stove.
The convection heat of a traditional wood stove rises towards the ceiling and the heat is concentrated around the stove. The heat is not retained in anything, but escapes through the chimney. The temperatures in the picture are for guidance only.
Because a Tulikivi ﬁreplace is not short-tempered and fiery, you can even lean against the side of the ﬁreplace and tap your fingers on it. Many people remember the nostalgic scent of a wood-burning Tulikivi ﬁreplace – it’s hard to put the feeling into words.
A Tulikivi Heat-Retaining Fireplace is a Veritable Powerhouse of Heat
Soapstone seems born for the fireplace, and Tulikivi is a magnificent soapstone fireplace. The magic of a heat-retaining Tulikivi ﬁreplace is based on the excellent thermal conductivity and the heat retaining properties of soapstone. Together with its high specific gravity, these properties ensure exceptional heating efficiency, and that heat will be radiated for a long period of time. Firewood burns quickly and efficiently in the ﬁrebox and the solid mass of the ﬁreplace rapidly stores the heat. A couple of loads of wood are sufficient to heat any room, and heat will be radiated for over 24 hours. And so a Tulikivi ﬁreplace does not waste heat or wood like a normal stove or open ﬁreplace, which have to be continually fed to keep the fire burnin